Introductions to the CISG
Primers on the CISG from common law and civil law
A Spring 2009 update
A December 2006 introduction to the CISG
A view from South Africa
by Sieg Eiselen of South Africa.
Analysis of: The need for unification of international sales law;
Development of the CISG; Other methods to achieve legal
unification or solve problems of international sales; The case for
adoption; The case against adoption; Experience with the CISG thus
Vienna Sales Convention and the Lex Mercatoria: a good
overview of the CISG prepared by a leading French authority. For another civil law perspective, see Silvia Ferreri, 25 Journal of Law and Commerce (2005-2006) 223-239
- What is the Convention about and how does it impact upon English lawyers? For a superb introduction to
this subject, see Barry Nicholas, The Vienna Convention on International Sales Law. 103 Law Quarterly
Review (1989) 201-243
- A brief overview of the CISG: Explanatory
Note by the UNCITRAL Secretariat on the United Nations Convention
on Contracts for the United Nations Convention on Contracts for
the International Sale of Goods.
report on the CISG prepared by the Law Commission of New Zealand:
an especially good general introduction to the CISG for persons
from common law jurisdictions.
de Dispositions de la C.V.I.M. du Point de Vue du Droit Civil Québécois:
[French text] prepared for the Uniform Law Conference of Canada.
Sales Law - The Experience with Uniform Sales Laws in the Federal
Republic of Germany, prepared by the editor of Germany's
leading text on the CISG.
- Checklist on the CISG: excerpt from 1994 Guide to Practical Applications of the Untited Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods
- The Uniform International Sales Law, in: Dalhuisen on International Commercial, Financial and Trade Law, Hart Publishing (2007) 400-330
from a Provincial Common Law Perspective: also prepared by the
Uniform Law Conference of Canada; in addition to comparisons of
the CISG with Canadian law, includes many comparisons with the UCC
and with common law sales rules in general.
- An introduction to the CISG: La
Convención de las Naciones Unidas sobre los Contratos de
Compraventa Internacional de Mercaderías: [Spanish text]
prepared by the authors of Argentina's leading text on the CISG.
- Luke Nottage, Who's Afraid of the Vienna Sales Convention (CISG)? A New Zealander's View from Australia and Japan, Victoria University of Wellington Law Review (2005/4) 815-845
Other primers on the CISG have been prepared by law revision
commissions or authorities from many countries. For citations to them,
see the Bibliography
on the CISG.