Go to Essay Rules
General data on the essay event
Evaluation criteria and prior essays
Essays are evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Quality of analysis (is it convincing, substantiated, understandable?)
- Thoroughness of research (types and varieties of source material)
- Originality (even though the topic may have been discussed in various publications, is the
author's approach innovative?)
- Interest of the subject matter
- Quality of writing (style, clarity, organization)
First Prize essays for preceding years are listed below in order of award.
- Kevin Bell [United States], "The Sphere of Application of the Vienna Convention on Contracts
for the International Sale of Goods"
- Camilla Baasch Andersen [Denmark], "Reasonable Time in Article 39(1) of the CISG: Is
Article 39(1) Truly a Uniform Provision?"
- Pilar Perales Viscasillas [Spain], "Battle of the Forms Under the 1980 United Nations
Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods: A Comparison with Section 2-207 UCC
and the UNIDROIT Principles"
- Peter A. Piliounis [Canada], "The Remedies of Specific Performance, Price Reduction and
Additional Time (Nachfrist) under the CISG: Are these worthwhile changes or additions to English
- Joern Rimke [Germany/South Africa], "Force majeure and hardship: Application in international
trade practice - with specific regard to the CISG and the UNIDROIT Principles of International
- John Felemegas [Australia], "The United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International
Sale of Goods: Article 7 and Uniform Interpretation"
- Djakhongir Saidov [Uzbekistan], "Methods of Limiting Damages under the Vienna Convention
on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods"
- Bruno Zeller [Australia], Four Corners: "The Methodology for Interpretation and Application of
the UN Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods"
- Francesco G. Mazzotta [Italy], "Article 78: Endless Disagreement Among Commentators,
Much Less Among the Courts"
- Peter J. Mazzacano [Canada], "Canadian Jurisprudence and the Uniform Application of the
UN Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods"
- Fan Yang [China], "The Application of the CISG in the Current PRC Law and the CIETAC
- Keith William Diener [United States], "The Recovery of Attorneys' Fees under CISG Article
74: A Critique of the Case Law and Commentary with an Interpretation of Article 74"
- Nathalie Hofmann [Germany], "Interpretation Rules and Good Faith as Obstacles to the UK's Ratification of the CISG and to the Harmonization of Contract Law in Europe"
- Katrina Winsor [New Zealand], "The Applicability of the CISG to Govern Sales of
- Rodrigo Momberg Uribe [the Netherlands], "Change of circumstances in international instruments of contract law. The approach of the CISG, the PICC, the PECL and the DCFR"
- Elizabeth Simos [England], "The CISG: A Lost Cause in the UK?"
©Pace Law School
Institute of International Commercial Law - Last updated September 19, 2011
Go to Database Directory || Go to Bibliography